8989 L Heavy Duty Combination Brake Lathe
Possesses all the features of the model 8922, capable of machining automobile brakes, as well as heavy-duty trucks and buses.
- Increased drum width capacity - a full 10” drum facing width.
- Two arbor speeds; 52 and 105 for safe, larger truck machining.
- Oversized tapered roller bearings supported spindle designed for maximum longevity.
- Interchangeable arbors and accessories increase the diversity of applications. For rotors, drums or flywheels a full range of packages or accessories are available to handle the widest range of vehicles.
- Packages available with oversized extended arbor and outboard support increasing the lathes capacity to 600 lbs. for rear drum/tire assemblies.
- Positive rake tooling yields “one pass” finish cut every time. No need for multiple passes.
- True machine shop design utilizing dovetail ways & adjustable gibb construction. Easy adjustments for wear over the life of the lathe.
- Optional 434469 2” boring bar assembly allows machining of large heavy duty flywheels.
8989 Basic HD Lathe Set −
Heavy Duty Lathe with standard tools + 8010 Bronze Adapter group for passenger cars and light trucks. Optional 8939-A Bench also available.
8997 HD Brake Shop Package−
Includes 8989 Heavy Duty Lathe with standard tools + 8010 Bronze Adapter Group, 8939-A Deluxe Bench, interchangeable 434055 1-7/8” HD Arbor/Nut/Wrench Set, 434472 Step-Down 1-7/8” to 1”Adaptor Set, 040100 Deluxe Adaptor Group, 434465 HD 1-7/8” Adaptor Group, , 434469 HD Boring Bar Assembly, 434661 Dbl Taper Cone Set, and 434060 / 436367 Micrometer / Drum Wear Gauges.
8995 HD Master Brake Shop Package − * for machining dual drums with tires attached.
Heavy Duty Brake Shop includes 8989 Heavy Duty Lathe with standard tools + 8010 Bronze Adapter Group,
8939-A Deluxe Bench, interchangeable 434055 1-7/8” HD Arbor/Nut/Wrench Set, 434472 Step-Down
1-7/8” to 1” Adaptor Set, 040100 Deluxe Adaptor Group, 434465 HD 1-7/8” Adaptor
group, 434469 HD Boring Bar Assembly, 434661 Dbl Taper Cone set, and 434060 / 436367 Micrometer /
Drum Wear Gauges + 434466 Elongated Arbor Set with Outboard Support Assembly.
Packages or accessories for individual or diverse shop application available on request. Call 888 884-2626 for individual quotes.
Accu−Turn 8989L Heavy Duty Combination Brake Lathe Benefit Overview
Two Arbor Speeds of 52 and 105 RPM −
Provides safe, slow machining of rotors to 24” and drums to 28”.
Truck Arbors and Extensive Accessories −
Featuring two truck shops with 1 7/8” OD arbor standard, either with or without an outboard support expanding the machining capacity to 600 lbs, the 8989 says TRUCK.
Expanded Facing Width −
Rotors to 4.5” and drums to a full 10” facing width gives you the range to handle just about anything you can fit in your building.
Positive Rake Cutter Tip Angle −
Provides for one pass finish virtually every time, allowing you to complete the work faster than a multiple pass machining processes. Metal and heat come off the top of the tip as you machine allowing for one pass machining with virtually any depth of cut. Get it in, get it out — faster then any lathe in the industry.
Dovetail Way and Adjustable Gibb Design −
The most dependable repeat guidance system in the machining industry. System provides for the ability to adjust out any tolerance increase caused by years of wear. Maintain factory tolerances for the life of the lathe. Dovetail ways are covered by stainless steel way covers for maximum performance.
Tapered Roller Bearing Spindle −
The lathe spindle is supported by Timken tapered roller bearings for years of maintenance free turning, the same system that automotive spindles have relied on for years.
Massive lathe housing casting − Combining a total mass of 500 lbs and a solid table top platform design the 8989 eliminates transient vibrations, ensuring a smooth uninterrupted surface finish on every pass. Cutting platform actually sits in a 200 lb iron casting, not suspended on a support mechanism.
Independent AC feed motors − Utilizing independent feed motors for rotor and drum improves the lathes versatility to machine all varieties of drums and rotors. Through a separate switch wiring we substantially reduce the possibility of catastrophic operator error. Providing smooth, consistent feed, day in and day out for years.